Dandruff is a common scalp condition that causes flaky, itchy skin and manifests as white flakes. Over-the-counter dandruff shampoo helps remove flakes from your scalp and hair.
To find out which dandruff shampoos work best in Singapore, we decided to answer some of the most common questions regarding dandruff.
So if you’re curious, read on.
How to deal with dandruff and its causes?
Dandruff is associated with Seborrheic Dermatitis, a condition that produces itchy, flaky skin on the scalp. It’s so widespread that it affects many people in Singapore.
Because there are so many factors that can cause dandruff, finding the exact reason for your itchy, flaky scalp can be challenging. Here are a few possible causes;
- Your sebaceous glands’ secretions
- Fungal growth on the skin’s surface
- Overshampooing and overdrying the scalp, or not shampooing enough, which can cause skin cells to build and produce flaking and itching.
- Over Brushing the hair on the head, which causes excessive friction with the scalp’s sensitive skin
- Malassezia is a yeast that irritates your scalp and produces excessive skin cell development.
- Contact dermatitis, which causes your scalp to become red and itchy, can be caused by a variety of personal care items.
- excessive exposure to the sun
- There is too much pressure on the scalp that you get on wearing hats.
- Your diet
- Your exposure to dust or dirt
- For unexplained reasons, some people are more susceptible to dandruff than others. Men, on the other hand, are known to get dandruff more frequently than women.
To deal with dandruff, there are several treatments you can undergo or natural home remedies you can use.
Can you treat dandruff naturally?
But can you really treat dandruff naturally? Yes, definitely. Experts consider natural dandruff treatment as effective. In fact, your kitchen could be the perfect laboratory for creating a homemade dandruff treatment. Apple cider vinegar, for example, is a natural dandruff treatment that minimizes the amount of microorganisms on your scalp.
But more often than not, natural dandruff treatments are not enough. That’s why we have more scientifically proven more effective dandruff treatments. Let’s discuss some.
Effective Treatments for dandruff
It’s a good idea to contact a doctor if your dandruff and itching are severe and persistent, or if your symptoms worsen. They might notice an underlying issue that responds to a particular treatment.
Additionally, various over-the-counter treatments or salon scalp and hair treatment can help manage flaking and irritation in mild dandruff without a specific cause.
Let this serve as a warning though. You should thoroughly remove as many scaly or crusty spots on the scalp as possible before using an anti-dandruff shampoo. This will improve the shampoo’s effectiveness.
Key ingredients for a dandruff shampoo
So if you’re considering using anti-dandruff shampoo, here are the key ingredients you should look for and we’re giving this tip for free (Don’t mention it).
- Ketoconazole is an antifungal that can be used by people of all ages.
- Selenium sulfide reduces the synthesis of natural oils by scalp glands, which helps to control dandruff. It has antifungal properties as well.
- Yeast growth is slowed by zinc pyrithione.
- Coal tar is an antifungal agent that can also help to prevent excessive skin cell formation. Coal tar can discolor coloured or treated hair if used for a long time. Because it may increase the sensitivity of the scalp to sunlight,you should wear a hat when outside. As a word of caution though, in excessive doses, coal tar may potentially be carcinogenic.
- Salicylic acid aids in the removal of dead skin cells.
- Many shampoos contain tea-tree oil. It’s antifungal as well as antibacterial. According to studies, shampoo with 5% tea tree oil appeared to be safe and well-tolerated for treating dandruff.
How to choose the best dandruff shampoo in Singapore?
In order to choose the best anti-dandruff shampoo, you should always consult experts. And the reason why is they’ll know what anti-dandruff best works for your hair.
Can’t find an anti-dandruff shampoo expert? Visit our store and we’ll surely help you out.